Friday, May 13, 2011

Introduction to a "Literary Analysis" of "Sunlight" (because... it's 1:47 AM and I've had too much coffee)

Introduction (not that you read the title or anything): So in English, I've been assigned to write a literary analysis essay on the classic Steinbeck novel, Of Mice and Men, with a choice of four different topics: Isolation and Loneliness (three characters), Curley's Wife Being a "Floozy" vs. Being a Lonely Victim (with the latter being my English teacher's preference for an essay topic), Animal Imagery in OMAM, and Steinbeck's Use of Dark and Light (essentially, how he uses it to convey mood and whether or not a scene should be viewed positively or negatively. Whoa. Shocktastic.).

Anyways, not that it's relevant, but I chose the Curley's Wife topic (she's a lonely victim of male oppression and dream loss and spousal neglect, or at least that's what I'll be "arguing"), though I'm more leaning toward Isolation and Loneliness right now, but that would be the easy route. So would Animal Imagery, as well, actually, but I didn't like that one. Before this gets too ranty, I shall say the purpose of this post, or rather the post it is preceding. I will be writing a very rough practice essay analyzing my own recently blogged work--"Sunlight".

Which is just as depressing as any Steinbeck novel, except the girl/baby/everyone didn't die. I will be attempting to use the "TIQA" format (Topic Sentence-Introduce Quote-Quote-Analysis) in this "essay" (which probably won't be nearly as formal as it should be). I'm striving for five paragraphs long. I've never written an essay for anything other than school, and as previously stated, it won't be as formal as necessary. So take it with a grain of salt, if you do choose to read it.

And tune in for the next post for my SUPEREXCITING analysis of my own writing. I hope it makes me a better writer.

No comments: